Monday, March 15, 2010

Blown Out Easter Eggs

This last weekend I sat down and watched every single Martha Stewart Easter Ideas through my cable's On Demand service. There were 24 different shows ranging in 3-18 minutes in length. Most of them were things to do with Easter Eggs that the insides had been removed. I had never seen such a thing! I got all excited when I saw there was one episode on how to Blow Out Easter Eggs. I was eager to learn something new. But Martha used a tool that makes the hole and does the blowing too. Bummer! I have no tool like that and have never seen one. So I thought about what I had that would pierce the hole. And like a light bulb I thought of my paper piercer in my Stampin Up tool kit. I grabbed it and the long needle.
I took the paper piercer and poked a hole in the smaller end of the egg. Then I tapped around that hole to make it just a little bit larger. I then poked a hole in the bigger end of the egg. Just once.

Then I took the long needle and inserted the eye of the needle into the larger of the holes and scrambled the egg up. This helps get it out of the egg.

Then came the hard part. I had to blow out the insides using my own wind power. Luckily I played flute for many years in school. Sometimes I had to go back and scramble it just a little more to get everything out.

The sad part was all of the wasted egg. My family eats LOTS of eggs so taking a dozen eggs and removing the insides just about killed me. Or maybe it was the fact I was getting dizzy from all the huffin and puffin. LOL

After the inside had been blown out I took the egg over to the sink and filled it half way with water, shook it up, and blow out the insides again. I repeated this 3 or 4 times per egg just to make sure I got everything out. Last thing I need it a house that smells of rotten eggs.

Then I placed the eggs back in the carton and started to prepare the color. Most everyone knows how to color eggs so I will spare you. ALTHOUGHT... Since these eggs were hollow they do float and you have to hold them under to get the entire egg colored. And you do have to blow out the eggs again to get the dye out. Then you place them with the larger hole down in the carton to dry completely.

Doesn't my bunny look cute with all of his Blown Out Eggs! Hope you enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment